Winter is approaching and although it's not on your list of "fun things to do" it is important that your home is prepared for the cold weather ahead.
1. Leaves, Leaves, Leaves - at our house we love our trees until the leaves start to fall...be sure to rake and remove all leaves from your yard or you will have dead grass in the spring, bugs also like to live under compact leaves.
2. Gutters - Those lovely leaves like to clutter our gutters so be sure to clean them after all leaves have fallen. Clogged gutters can't drain properly and can cause trim/wood to rot and can also cause ice dams.
3. Pipes - We have already had a few nights where temperatures have gotten in the 30's. Be sure to turn off the valves to the exterior hose bibs and make sure all pipes are empty. Leaving water on to the outside faucets can cause pipes to freeze and burst and flood your home, which no one wants.
4. HVAC - Clean and replace HVAC filters
5. Yard - Mulch perennials after the first hard freeze. Just make sure you don't cover the center of the plant, because that can lead to rot.
6. Yard - Aerate your lawn - this allows nutrients to get into the roots. When you're done, spread fertilizer then grass seed.
7. Smoke Detectors - Check your C/O and smoke detector batteries and remember if your smoke detector is older than 10 years you should replace it entirely.
Author:Melody Visser Phone: 703-785-8203 Dated: October 22nd 2015 Views: 499 About Melody: Melody Hall Visser is a passionate Realtor who lists, sells, and dwells in Northern Virginia. Curren...
Trust eXp Realty and our team of real estate agents to help you find homes for sale or to sell your current home. We recognize the level of service that the mobile consumer demands. You have information. You have dreams. We possess experience, integrity, and innovation. Together we create leverage to make your dreams a reality.
April 2017 Loudoun County Market Trends Report: Home Prices and Sales
"“From the very beginning of our home search, Melody was helpful, responsive, knowledgeable, and accommodating. We live in Western Loudoun but Melody was happy to drive out here and take us house hunting multiple times. What impressed us the most was how on the ball she is – she responded so quickly to any questions we had, and if she didn’t know the answer or was unsure she took the time to go and research the subject in depth. For instance, we had questions about radon levels and the various water tests needed for well water. She was on the phone calling all kinds of companies and even government agencies to get us answers. She also wasn’t afraid to go to the sellers’ agents with any questions or concerns we had, no matter how small they might have been. She really was an advocate for us, and we knew that she wasn’t just out there trying to get us to buy a house and close the deal, she wanted us to find THE house, and get us the best deal. We had some requirements that really narrowed our pool of homes to choose from but we ended up finding our forever home, thanks to Melody. We had a few hiccups before closing but she was there every step of the way, in regular contact with the sellers agent, title company, mortgage lender, and even handled arranging all of the inspections for us. We would not hesitate to highly recommend her to anyone! ” "