Winter is approaching and although it's not on your list of "fun things to do" it is important that your home is prepared for the cold weather ahead.
1. Leaves, Leaves, Leaves - at our house we love our trees until the leaves start to fall...be sure to rake and remove all leaves from your yard or you will have dead grass in the spring, bugs also like to live under compact leaves.
2. Gutters - Those lovely leaves like to clutter our gutters so be sure to clean them after all leaves have fallen. Clogged gutters can't drain properly and can cause trim/wood to rot and can also cause ice dams.
3. Pipes - We have already had a few nights where temperatures have gotten in the 30's. Be sure to turn off the valves to the exterior hose bibs and make sure all pipes are empty. Leaving water on to the outside faucets can cause pipes to freeze and burst and flood your home, which no one wants.
4. HVAC - Clean and replace HVAC filters
5. Yard - Mulch perennials after the first hard freeze. Just make sure you don't cover the center of the plant, because that can lead to rot.
6. Yard - Aerate your lawn - this allows nutrients to get into the roots. When you're done, spread fertilizer then grass seed.
7. Smoke Detectors - Check your C/O and smoke detector batteries and remember if your smoke detector is older than 10 years you should replace it entirely.
Author:Melody Visser Phone: 703-785-8203 Dated: October 22nd 2015 Views: 480 About Melody: Melody Hall Visser is a passionate Realtor who lists, sells, and dwells in Northern Virginia. Curren...
Trust eXp Realty and our team of real estate agents to help you find homes for sale or to sell your current home. We recognize the level of service that the mobile consumer demands. You have information. You have dreams. We possess experience, integrity, and innovation. Together we create leverage to make your dreams a reality.
How Fast Can You Save For A Down Payment?Saving for a down payment is
"We enjoyed working with Melody from the moment we met! As first time home buyers, we had a lot of questions, and were a little “green” on the whole process. Melody spent a big chunk of her Saturday morning with us going over the market, the home buying process, and answering all of our questions; no matter how silly. We related to her very well, and felt like she just “got us”. She was great about sending listings, responding to any and all emails, and coordinating showings of homes with us. She had a great understanding of what we were looking for, and even helped us realize things we didn’t even know we may need or want in a home. We found the perfect home for us rather quickly, and Melody was very quick when negotiating our offer, and following up with the selling parties. She referred us to a great lender, a wonderful settlement company, and our entire process went smoothly thanks to her professionalism and follow through. We couldn’t have asked for anyone better and will be referring everyone we know to Melody, as well as calling her in the future when its time to do this fun process all over again!”"