Our homes require regular maintenance, both to protect our personal safety and to avoid costly repairs.
Here are five of the most important items you should check in your home (I would suggest checking these items on a monthly basis).
1. The fire extinguisher: It’s recommended that you keep at least one fire extinguisher on every floor. You should also keep one in the garage and in the basement.
2. Staircases and banisters: A loose railing or banister could spell disaster. Regularly check your stairs and the accompanying railings to make sure they’re secure.
3. Smoke detectors: Be diligent about testing your smoke alarms (and carbon monoxide detectors) and replacing batteries. According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, smoke detectors should be tested at least once a month, and batteries should be replaced at least twice a year. A good rule of thumb is to change the batteries when you adjust your clocks for daylight savings.
4. Electrical outlets: Outlets in kitchens and bathrooms should have a “test” button. It’s part of a system that prevents electrocution. Plug in a hair dryer, and push the “test” button—the hair dryer should turn off right away.
5. Water quality: If you’ve never tested your water for harmful contaminants, you can purchase a kit to test it yourself, or hire a professional.
Remember to check these items on a monthly basis. Have any questions? Feel free to contact me!
At your service,
Call or text me at (703) 362-4024
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Author:Rhonda Johnson Phone: 703-362-4024 Dated: November 27th 2016 Views: 57 About Rhonda: ...
Have you been thinking about purchasing a new home? Wondering what cou
"“We have nothing but wonderful things to say about Melody! She worked with us for a year as we searched for our perfect home. Melody also sold our condo in less than 2 weeks! She was very professional and thorough throughout the buying and selling process. Buying our first single-family home, was a huge purchase for us and we had many questions along the way. Melody was always very responsive no matter what time of day it was. She was flexible and always made herself available. It was such a pleasure working with her and we would recommend her to anyone!”"